Tuesday 31 May 2011

Steetley Magnesite Apocalypse Now

I have wanted to visit Steetley Magnesite for ages but just never got round to it until today. My girlfriend had to go and work in Middlesborough for a few hours so I asked her to drop me off at this site on on the way.
View this image on flickr here © Anthony Dorman

View this image on flickr here © Anthony Dorman

 There was something quite peaceful about this abandoned site which is weird because most derelict sites make you very aware of your surroundings, your senses are heightened through fear and atmosphere. I have never seen anything quite like this location, its like something out of an episode of Lost or maybe a scene from  Bond film. The site is massive, I spent nearly 3 hours walking around it and inside it. In all that time I never saw another person once which was quite weird. It was nice just getting some images on my own and simply for the enjoyment of exploring with my camera.

1 comment: