Sunday 19 June 2011

99 With Monkey's Blood Please?!!!!!!!

When I was little I can remember the excitement caused by the ice cream man's siren. All the kids would here it stop what they were doing and run home to beg and plead for spending money.

View this image here on flickr © Anthony Dorman

I used to struggle with the choices, a cider lolly, screwball or a 99 with monkey's blood. I better just clarify that "monkey's blood" was the name we used as kids to describe the raspberry sauce you got with your ice cream. Every time I see an ice cream van (like this fixed one in Tynemouth) I feel nostalgic and also a little sad. I'm sad because they remind me of things that perish, not just the ice cream but also the excitement in simple things that can leave you when you become old and jaded.

Every now and then I like to process a photograph in a way that deliberately mimic the poorly processed images we all have from the 60's and 70's in our family scrapbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment